Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Tangled Up In Blue

In reflecting on the World Cafe event, I was thinking about how I didn't get a chance to participate deeply in the conversations. As the facilitator, I walked around and monitored the group, but it wasn't the same as being in the thick of it. In a sense, this made me a bit of an outsider to my own team.

I've been reading about organizational design and strategy recently, too. One of the points made in my reading is that by choosing to do some activity, an organization is concurrently choosing NOT to do something else. It's simply a natural byproduct of the process.

In the case of the World Cafe, I chose the role of designer and facilitator. A byproduct of that choice is that I could not be both fully in the facilitator role and in the participant role.

While I'm celebrating the success of my breakout into a new role, at the same time I'm mourning that loss of shared participation and identification with my team.

2 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

It may be a bit trite to say that gain and loss are two sides of the same coin, so instead I'll pass over that and say that Tangled Up In Blue is one of my most favourite Dylan songs!

5:44 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Of course it's nothing new.

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Eccl. 1:9

"There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know." - Ambrose Bierce

"Same as it ever was." - David Byrne

"You can't really go wrong with Dylan." - Tina

Welcome back, Andy!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home