Saturday, September 02, 2006

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Bored

My friend JP teaches an entire undergraduate class at Franklin University based on Jim Collins' book Good to Great. He frequently uses terminology from the book in day-to-day conversation, and I finally decided I needed to read the durn thing if I wanted to both understand what he's going on about and support him.

(Just so you don't think I'm completely ignorant - on this topic, anyway - during MPOD we were assigned the chapter on the Hedgehog Concept, which I reread several times, but I never indulged in reading the rest of the book. Another assignment had us researching Meg Whitman, CEO of eBay, who referred to herself as a "Level 5 leader," so I had read something about that subject, too.)

So, I've been reading Good to Great. While it has a lot of solid data in it, I find the writing not particularly juicy or compelling. In other words, it's appealing to my left brain but not my right.

I have about 100 pages of the core text left to read (there are hundreds of pages of epilogue, appendices, notes, and indexes, too, but I'm giving myself a break and not reading those since doggone-it, they aren't "assigned!"). If I spend the next couple of hours reading, I can probably put this baby to bed and feel like I've fulfilled my obligation as a student and a friend. (Although, after reading this post, he may not feel so friendly toward me . . . )

I wish I had taken this one out of the library as a cassette tape and listened to it in the car during my daily commute instead of spending my precious free-reading time on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home