Sunday, September 30, 2007

First Reflections on Facebook

When my friend and mentor Loretta Donovan invited me to join Facebook, how could I refuse? She's always ahead of the learning curve and wide open to new experiences in a way that I admire, respect, and want to emulate.

So I joined Facebook. In doing so, I've jumped into a world of light-hearted online interaction. I was surprised to find so many well respected OD practitioners in that environment: Open Space facilitator Chris Corrigan, online facilitator Nancy White, and graphic facilitator Mark Pinto among many others.

Shortly after registering myself, I invited others in my network to join. There have been mixed reactions to the invitation. Some have joined, surprised that they were "allowed" to join (they thought you had to have school emails, or be under a certain age). Some have declined, saying they are already connected through another social networking service like LinkedIn. And a few have joined with reservations about providing the email passwords requested to invite other friends - reservations that I share.

I've been using Facebook for about a week now. Today I created a group for "MPOD and Friends" and invited the MPOD crew (and CIGO and AMOC) to connect. Come and play on Facebook!


Tags: ,

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm holding off for now.

I don't see the "need", and it seems like it one more thing I need to "manage". I just realized that I have seven different email accounts, with seven different names and passwords. All for different aspects of my "life" -- a radio email account, FOUR teaching accounts, my website, my personal account.

This does not include the all the logins and passwords for two web sites I manage, Amazon, LinkedIn, banks, loan, etc.

I have to ask myself, how much of this is making my life better? And I think that one more "thing" to do and manage will cause me to run to Montana, screaming all the way, where I will build a cabin in the woods.

7:39 AM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

"...one more "thing" to do and manage will cause me to run to Montana, screaming all the way, where I will build a cabin in the woods..."

You say that like it's a bad thing!

;-)

Will you be attending the MPOD4 reception? Or is that a school and/or radio night?

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a ~ bad ~ thing -- just a choice!

The reception is radio night. Sounds like a fun time. Are you going?

10:06 AM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Probably not. Too far to travel on a school night.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home