Sunday, May 27, 2007

Five Things I Learned in May

They aren't as sexy as Terry Starbucker's 5 things, but here goes anyway:
  1. I've become better at accepting and more appreciative of feedback at work. Feedback is a gift and an opportunity for growth, which is an attitude and approach I didn't get growing up. Now I know it gives me something I can reflect and act on, if I so choose.
  2. John Coltrane's "Crescent" makes me hold my breath in the same way I do when I watch a trapeze act. You can hear a commentary on the piece by Dave Liebman over at The Traneumentary.
  3. The healthcare system in the US is broken. No matter how many stories you hear in the media about this, you can't fully understand it until you are faced with a serious illness and you cannot identify the right person or group to help, let alone get their attention.
  4. My oldest son turns 12 today. Parenting is the learning journey of a lifetime, and he never ceases to challenge me on all levels. This month I learned that he still has the ability to short-circuit my higher thinking and drive me straight into lowest-common-denominator reactive behavior! I also learned that I should trust his choices in friends a little more - he demonstrated that he has a more sophisticated understanding of the subtleties of human behavior than I gave him credit for.
  5. Tagging can be a great tool for sharing and gleaning information. Until this month I was mostly using del.ic.ious as a place to store my own favorites. But recently I've started to "mine" other peoples' tags, and I've found a lot of stuff I probably never would have found any other way.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Starbucker said...

Hi Tina, thanks for the link - and your kind words about my list of 5; never thought of it as sexy, though.... :-)

Hey, your list is pretty darn good - happy birthday to your son, and I'm going to check out that Coltrane right now.

All the best, and enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend!

3:31 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Terry, thanks to you and JJL for the impetus to reflect on and record the learnings!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Christine Borne said...

re: #3, i can't imagine what it'd be like with a serious illness, given that i couldn't even get my crappy insurance company to give me a straight answer on whether they would cover a *minor* procedure. it must be terrible.

maybe we're getting more amenable to the idea of universal health care. i came across this yesterday, in an article about the newest adults arriving on the job market:

"Salary was not the graduates' biggest consideration for evaluating job offers. The respondents -- more than 600 U.S. college students who were surveyed online -- said their top priorities for accepting a job offer are (in order of importance):

* Good benefits (83%)"

12:58 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Thanks for dropping in, Christine. I hope you're right about universal healthcare, but I'm not optimistic. Right now what I'm perceiving is a continuation of the widening of the gap between them what got and them what ain't got.

This isn't a sustainable situation, so it cannot go on forever. It's a matter of how long before it blows up in our faces.

I happen to be lucky enough to be employed by a large corporation and to be covered by a pretty good "high" PPO plan for which I pay extra. Even with that, though, navigating the system is cumbersome and confusing. I feel like we need a dedicated consultant to figure out what to do next.

Anyway, gotta love that bad Cleveland accent!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omphaloskepsis are you still around?

10:03 AM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

i am

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home