Monday, July 25, 2005

Second Guessing

This feeling of regret and self-doubt . . . it often follows a major decision or choice for me. I keep thinking, 'What will I be missing in Bath?'

Complexity theory as it applies to social systems? I doubt that it's a serious theoretical contender. It's incredibly heady, but so gimmicky. ('But what if I'm wrong?')

My head said Bath, and my heart said Belgium. I usually follow my head. This time I followed my heart. So it's group dynamics in Flemish with Danielle leading the way, and hanging with my best buds Pam and Cheryl in Leuven.

I hope my heart didn't lead me astray.

3 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

"Complexity theory ...It's incredibly heady..."

Have you come across the work of Ralph Stacey on that subject? His earlier writing was moderately accessible to a non-academic like me, but I gave up with some of his later stuff - it was just so dense!

5:20 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

No, I'm not familiar with his work. I'll have to check it out! Do you have a specific recommendation?

7:25 AM  
Blogger andy said...

The one I managed to finish was "Complexity and Creativity in Organisations"; the one I gave up on was "Complex Responsive Processes in Organisations".

The themes that stay with me from that earlier work are: the value of an organisation's so-called shadow system - the "rules" that really describe/govern what goes on, how authority flips between legitimate and shadow systems, why people in organisations need freedom to "play", and the crucial role of interconnectedness -something that blogging is helping along significantly.

Whoops, sorry, got carried away there...

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home