Sunday, July 30, 2006

My Dinner with Patricia Shaw

In exploring complexity theory as it applies to human systems, I've read a number of authors - Dee Hock's Birth of the Chaordic Age, Margaret Wheatley's Leadership and the New Science, and Patricia Shaw's Changing Conversations in Organizations, to name three. I loved Changing Conversations, so I decided to see what else she might have to share on the topic.

This week I'm reading Experiencing Risk, Spontaneity, and Improvisation in Organizational Change: Working Live. I purchased it a few months ago, but was waiting for the right moment to read it. Since we've booked an improv program for the next CCODN meeting, I thought this would be a good time to dig into this book.

I'm home alone today, so I also had an opportunity to watch a movie that wouldn't interest anyone else in the house. Yesterday I thought I would watch Do the Right Thing, but as I started reading the new Shaw, I thought of My Dinner with Andre. Today, I popped the Andre into the DVD player. (Andre's misgivings notwithstanding, how can you not love technology?) It was an interesting complement to the book.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't find the comment link on Egoic Open Space post but it did resonate with me. I get that tired but "high" feeling whenever I teach my Spanish classes and it goes well. Nothing like it! And, I can float for days on a good compliment about my class!

11:33 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Thanks for commenting, Connie!

It truly is a good feeling when something we care about doing well is recognized as one of our strengths by someone else.

5:27 PM  
Blogger jimbobwoof said...

How serenditipitous - I have just logged My Dinner with Andre as a resource for my Foundation Paper on AMOC. I was coming from the other side, I think - looking at Grotowski's paratheatrical experiments (which Andre talks about) as a contrast to ideas of performance and engagement as an organisation consultant. I try googling Shaw and Improvisation and find your blog!

9:25 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Whoa, James - very interesting connection!

I just got home yesterday from the Nexus for Change event, which featured Playback Theatre throughout. It was incredibly enlightening to witness the theatrical playback of ongoing experience!

I think this work is underutilized in OD and community building. I'd love to read your paper!

If you're interested in connecting, email me at tkreminski {at} gmail.com.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home