Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Reflections on Facebook #2

I remember the first time I saw a Mac laptop breathing. You know how when you shut the lid the light surges gently on and off - it gives the sense that the machine is sleeping, as opposed to off (or dead, to extend the metaphor).

The Facebook interface makes me feel the same way as that breathing Mac. In some sense it is alive in a way that MySpace or LinkedIn is not. Updates from friends show up on the interface - pictures they may have uploaded, status updates (somewhat akin to tweets on Twitter), and favorites they have added to del.icio.us. It's quite compelling!

I would love to keep Facebook open on my desktop all day and be able to check in on what's going on. It has an immediate, companionable quality - as if I were collaborating in realtime with a group of friends.

Tag:

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to comment on your original Facebook post, but time is, as they say, short.

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook. I've never dealt with it, so it's more unwarranted prejudice than anything else. It's good to see professional persons taking an interest in it . . . perhaps it will clean up the high school persona that has come to be associated with it.

As for me, I'll continue to live in my cave and remember the good ol' days before the internet.

12:54 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

I was reluctant to join because of its teenybopper image, too. As I said in my first post, though, the woman who invited me is someone I respect and admire, so I thought if she found some value in it, I should at least check it out.

One of my personal values is inclusiveness - I want to be able to communicate with people of all ages and from all walks of life. That often means that I have to get out of my comfort zone. If my 74-year-old mom is most comfortable with a telephone call, a telephone call it will be. If my 18-year-old niece is most comfortable with writing on the Wall at Facebook, well...that's what I'll do!

Hermit life can be lonely. So I'll come visit you in the cave if that works for you!

-t

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your inclusiveness and openmindedness once again prove you're a better person. As for me, I'm still laughing at the girl sitting next to me in class who broke up with her boyfriend because another girl wrote "I miss youuuuuuuuu" on his wall.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just found your blog while googling omphaloskepsis, a word which I was happy to learn today. (While contemplating my navel.)

I thought to myself, "hey, that would be a great blog name." And I do believe it is!

As for facebook, I haven't quite gotten roped in. It's been great to make contact with folks I'd hadn't seen in years, but that's about it for me. (Though admittedly I'm afraid to give it too much of a chance. I have plenty of other things to keep me busy. Like contemplating my navel. And googling "omphaloskepsis." And randomly commenting on people's blogs.)

I do know what you mean about the breathing, sleeping macs, though.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home