Saturday, September 23, 2006

You're So Vain

I read Tuesdays with Morrie last weekend. I don't know what to make of it. At first I was truly put off by the author's tone and self-centeredness. He started to move through that as he experienced the failing of his professor and friend, Morrie, which I guess was the point.

It was difficult to hold at bay the thought that Albom knew he would be writing a commercial book as he taped his old friend's dying words, especially since he got back in touch with Morrie through a piece on national television. Clearly, here was an opportunity to capitalize on someone else's fame (and wisdom). For some reason the whole premise struck me as self-serving and self-congratulatory.

I know I'm in the minority with this opinion. Sorry to those of you who loved this book. Obviously, Morrie Schwartz was a wonderful professor and human being - I just didn't care for his biographer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home