Friday, December 22, 2006

Just Like Any Other Day That's Ever Been

I grew up in an Apocalyptic family. The end of the world was imminent, and there was really no point in preparing for a future 'in this world.' As a kid, I expected that the end would come long before I turned 25.

It was a shock to wake up on my 25th birthday and find myself still alive. In fact, it was somewhat of a disappointment.

Overall, I never much cared if I lived or died - what difference could it possibly make? The end was near anyway.

And then I became a parent.

Twenty-some-odd years later, I'm distressed to find myself facing surgery (and by extension my own mortality). It's not so much that I care about extending my life for myself, but I know that my kids would suffer without a mom.

So, I'm going to talk to the surgeon today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could give you a quiet, and very still, hug right now.

9:42 PM  
Blogger tinotchka said...

Thank you. You just did.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home